Everyone wants that lean, toned look. Men want to that muscular, athletic look. Women want that lean, and lightly toned “pilates look”. While genetics plays a part, we can help nature out by doing 5 little things. Incorporate these 5 tips into your daily life and you are guaranteed to see a difference.
- Get rid of the junk food. This may go without saying, but so many people are eating crap and not even realizing it. One or two cookies may not sound like a lot, but when they pack in 125 calories per cookie in some cases, you are eating almost a fourth of your daily calories in 4 cookies alone! Sugar is great at helping us pack on the abdominal fat. Avoid sugary juices and sodas at all costs. Simply opt for water.
- Go easy on the booze. Everything in moderation. While a few drinks here or there won’t do you in, consuming alcohol on a regular basis is sure to slow down your metabolism and pack on the pounds. Your body focuses on burning off the alcohol instead of the food you eat. This means those food calories are going to be stored as fat. This means that late night burrito run after drinking all night is actually worse than you probably realized.
- Lift more efficiently. Adding muscle to your body elevates your metabolism, which helps you burn more calories at rest. To get the most out of your time spent at the gym, try doing something different. On the negative stroke of your weightlifting reps, slow things down. Take 4-5 seconds as you slowly lower the weight to the start position. This will significantly increase the stress put on the muscle, which is ideal. Your bodies’ metabolism will increase as it repairs the muscle, long after your training session is over.
- Burn it out. While weight training, aim to burn our specific muscles at the end of each session. For instance, for your quads, do at least 12 reps of a quad extension at the end of your day. This will allow you to keep stress on the muscle which will block the flow of blood. This in turn enhances your bodies’ production of growth hormone (GH). GH is a great muscle builder, but is also a potent fat burner. Try to end a body parts’ workout with a final muscle burning set.
- Cardio after weightlifting. Your body burns off sugars in the blood within an hour of weight training. By doing cardio after weightlifting, you are immediately tapping into fat stores. Do 15-30 minutes of cardio after weight lifting to achieve maximum fat loss potential.
Be smart about your weight loss. Don’t fall into fad diet tricks and expect to lose 10-15 pounds a week. A reduction of just 1-2 pounds a week is ideal. After just a couple months, you will have that lean and toned look you’ve wanted. You will likely enjoy renewed energy and a higher feeling of self-confidence. Just stick to the plan, don’t overdo it, and you’ll find dropping the excess fat is a pleasure and not a chore.