Rack Pulls are essentially a modified deadlift. Instead of starting with the bar on the floor, begin at knee level. The benefits of Rack Pulls are tremendous. They will strength your hamstrings, glutes, mid-section, forearms, and upper-back. This is a great exercise to add muscle to your upper-back especially.
Key points about Rack Pulls:
- Try Rack Pulls if you are having trouble keeping a flat back while doing deadlifts.
- You may be able to use heavier weights on Rack Pulls than on deadlifts, depending on height of the bar to start
- To correctly perform a Rack Pull, use no momentum with very little knee extension.
- Feet shoulder-width apart
- Shins perpendicular to the floor
- Use about a 20” grip
- Keep straight arms through the lift. Tighten your triceps
- Chest up
- Shoulder-blades above the bar
- Straight neck